This week’s pick for our “Good Food in Action” post:
Organization/Program: Rwanda Hospitality Institute (in partnership with Heaven Restaurant)
Volunteer Opportunity: Hospitality Program Coordinator
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Start Date: Recruiting Now!
End Date: 1-year From Start Date
Length: 1 Year
Website Overview of Position: Website currently not available
Rwanda Hospitality Institute is Rwanda’s first “live” vocational training center for customer service, culinary arts and hospitality management. Rwanda Hospitality Institute will deliver a series of workshops as well as ongoing, on-site practical training that benefits the entire tourism sector in Rwanda.
Short courses will provide vocational and technical skills and prepare Rwandans to work in the hospitality and tourism industry. The Director of Rwanda Hospitality Institute is working closely with the Rwanda Hotel and Restaurant Association, Ministry of Education and the Workforce Development Authority to become an accredited vocational training center.
We are looking for a passionate and energetic candidate who thrives in a
dynamic start up environment. Rwanda’s Hospitality Institute Coordinator is critical to ensuring that the newly created onsite hospitality vocational training center will produce qualified and skilled applicants for the hospitality sector in Rwanda. He/she will develop and recruit experienced trainers to teach the first year of hospitality short courses. A passion for education and hospitality vocational training is essential.
• Assist the program director in planning, development and implementation of the first year of practical training courses.
• The Coordinator will identify the necessary objectives of each course; develop all of the content; and teach or recruit expert trainers to teach each course.
• Work closely with the Rwanda Hotel and Restaurant Association, Ministry of Education and Workforce Development Authority to develop practical training that complements existing curricula from top hospitality schools in Rwanda.
• Identify international best practices and curriculum models for accreditation.
• Determine scheduling and content of courses and assist in development of hospitality program budget and school fee structure.
• Organize guest speakers and invite experts in the hospitality field to co-teach
• Work with the business community to ensure that curriculum development is in alignment with the training needs of the private sector.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills, experience and knowledge:
• Commitment to Rwanda Hospitality Institute’s vision, mission and values
• Proven leadership abilities, a high level of initiative, strong interpersonal skills, creative and flexible problem solving skills.
• Minimum 3 years experience teaching and working in the hospitality industry
• Bachelor’s/College Degree Hospitality/Tourism/Hotel and Restaurant Management is preferred
• Strong networks within the Rwandan and East African hospitality industry
• Exposure to the international hospitality industry and vocational training field
• Excitement and a positive attitude about working in a dynamic start-up environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and planning and organizational skills required
• Strong analytical skills, independent judgment, ability to multi-task, comfortable under pressure and able to meet deadlines while retaining a sense of humor
• Ability to communicate ideas across cultural and language barriers; fluency in English is mandatory. French proficiency is also preferred.
• Willingness to commit to a minimum of 1 year
• Previous international exposure, especially in Africa
The Hospitality Institute Coordinator will report to the Director of the Rwanda Hospitality Institute in Kigali.
Contact: Submit resume, cover letter, and references to Alissa Ruxin at email@example.com. Include “Hospitality Institute Coordinator” in subject line. Contact Alissa directly for questions about requirements, salary and benefits.