CulinaryCorps aims to launch one culanthropy outreach trip per year.
For each trip we recruit 10-12 volunteer chefs in a highly competitive application process. Once chosen, the team embarks on a week-long service trip to the chosen community implementing our project initiatives designed individually for our project partners. Our previous efforts have centered on the rebuilding efforts and culinary renaissance of New Orleans, LA, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Puerto Rico. In 2013, we embarked upon our first trip to Camp Sunshine, a facility serving kids with life-threatening illnesses and their families.
Since March 2007, CulinaryCorps has launched 9 week-long service trips connecting our chefs with an intense portfolio of projects including farmers markets, edible schoolyards and emergency feeding centers. To date, the CulinaryCorps chefs have created over 6,000 meals for the residents of the communities served; taught 900 children hands-on cooking lessons and the importance of eating healthy, well-sourced food; launched the First Annual Ocean Springs Fresh Food Festival; designed and spearheaded the after-school cooking club “Cooking at the Club” for the Boys and Girls Club of Pass Christian; taught AmeriCorps members how to cook for Habitat for Humanity volunteers; and most importantly brought joy to the table.
Projects vary from trip to trip but include events such as:
- Spending a day with Edible Schoolyard in New Orleans.
- Working behind the stoves at Bill’s Kitchen, an organization that serves daily hot meals to people living with HIV/AIDS in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Launching an after-school cooking curriculum Cooking at the Club for The Boys and Girls Club of the Gulf Coast
- Feeding hundreds of Habitat for Humanity volunteers building houses in New Orleans and Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina.
- Cooking for Liberty’s Kitchen very first fundraiser, a job training program focusing on the culinary arts.
The following trips have been completed by our talented teams of chef-volunteers:
- March 2007: New Orleans (18 Chefs)
- June 2007: New Orleans (12 Chefs)
- September 2007: New Orleans and Mississippi (10 Chefs)
- December 2007: New Orleans, St.Bernard Parish and Mississippi (12 Chefs)
- June 2008: New Orleans, St.Bernard Parish and Mississippi (12 Chefs)
- April 2009: New Orleans, St.Bernard Parish and Mississippi (12 Chefs)
- February 2010: Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (10 chefs)
- November 2011: New Orleans and Mississippi (12 chefs)
- August 2013: Lake Sebago (Camp Sunshine), Maine (10 chefs)
- UPCOMING July 2014: Lake Sebago (Camp Sunshine), Maine (10 chefs)
Total Number of Selected Chef-Volunteers Since 2006:
108 from all across the United States including Canada and Puerto Rico. Alaska too!